HISTORY - Roy Lynch Park
As revitalization of the area progressed, a priority for the neighborhood was the creation of a local park for Elmwood Park residents and children. Land at the corner of Lincoln and Abbeville Streets was selected and two houses were moved to make way for the project. These houses are now located at 2118 and 2220 Lincoln Street.
Roy Lynch was an Army veteran and employee of Anchor Continental Company. He lived in Elmwood Park from 1955 until his death from cancer on February 25, 1981. He had eight children and was a founding member of the Elmwood Park Neighborhood Association. He often lobbied the city for a neighborhood park because of his concern about children playing in the street. Several had died over the years while playing in traffic.
The park was approved with money furnished by a Community Development Block Grant and was dedicated on July 20, 1981 by the Honorable Kirkman Finlay, Mayor of the City of Columbia.
In the last several years, the condition of the park has been upgraded in a cooperative effort between the City and the Neighborhood Association. New play equipment has been installed and the old chain link fencing has been replaced with brick and wrought-iron to better fit with the character of the neighborhood. In addition to use by the area residents, the park is also utilized by the children of the restored Logan Elementary School located across the street.